As high school volleyball season has ended and club season is about to begin here in Western New York, it’s a great time to think about a list of the top 10 things we should all be happy for all year round.
- Family and Friends – We may not all have the best relationships with our families, but we still need to be glad we have them – even if just for a sense of belonging. That sentiment applies to not only the family we were born into, but the one we create through the friends we choose. So many people have no one at all that relates to their lineage, or their lives.
- Our Enemies and Those Who Challenge Us – Those who seem to be against us teach us about ourselves: who we are, and almost more importantly, who we want to be. Having enemies can teach you about the virtue in being patient, courageous and understanding. It only means that you are truly living life.
- Mind and Body – With the stress of everyday life, you may often feel like you are losing your mind (especially this time of year). But truly, without your mind you would have nothing. And without a functioning body, life would be so much more difficult, possibly with severely limited options. Love and appreciate your body, no matter its size or shape. Fuel your mind and body with proper nutrition, rest and exercise. Care for them accordingly and use them to the best of your ability.
- Loving and Learning – The ability to love is what makes us grow. True, it can lead us to heartache, but it is worth it to have experienced it at all. Love can teach us deep lessons about ourselves and about others. And learning is essential to a happy and fulfilled life. Teach yourself as much as you can: the more you open your mind to learn, the greater an experience life will become.
- Health and Wellbeing – If you are in good health, this is truly something to be thankful for every single day. Countless people are ill or suffering. Your health is an immeasurable gift and it’s one that should not be taken for granted. Things can change quickly and unexpectedly. So be active and adventurous, and take advantage of being able to do so.
- Mistakes – Mistakes are simply lessons learned and opportunities to improve ourselves. Without our mistakes we would have no failures by which to measure our future success against. So be thankful for all of your shortcomings and what they have taught you in the end.
- Disappointment – Appreciate the things that have disappointed you in the past. These are the lessons that will teach you how to identify what matters most in the future. Disappointment and let down also help us to enjoy success that much more.
- Choices – Having choices is a remarkable privilege. In life, you have the choice to stay or go, to decide who to allow into your life, how you want to live, and what you want to do. Our possibilities are endless and our life is only limited by the choices we make.
- Challenges – A good challenge is like a healthy workout. It makes you strong, teaches you about yourself, and forces you to push your limits. Challenges cause us to grow, so we should be thankful for that growth and forward movement.
- Last But Not Least: Laughter – Laugh loud and often. It truly is the best medicine. Be thankful you have reasons to laugh, people to laugh with, and the ability to do it at all.
- We know this looks like a “Top 10″ list but if we were to an an eleventh… it would of course be Volleyball.